How do I discontinue or transfer my water service?

To stop your water service, please contact us by phone, mail, or office visit and request to have the service taken out of your name. If you are moving within our service area and would like to transfer your service, please call us.

The following information must be provided:

  • Account Number to be closed
  • Date to close account (excluding weekends and holidays)
  • Forwarding address and phone number